Activities / Sailing
The Captiva Island Yacht Club is proud to organize this year’s Junior Sailing Camp. We are grateful for the Tween Waters Inn, who has allowed us to use their property for launching our boats.
Our programs are 10 days in duration (Monday through Friday). Students, ages 8 to 15, will have sailing instruction, cool down lunchtime, and kayaking instruction. Each session is to teach the basics to the beginning sailors and will build on prior experience and focus more advanced racing and sailing skills as you advance through the program.
CIYC has a fleet of 12 Optimist prams and 6 Sunfish sailboats.
Each year we will be conducting our summer sailing program for youth ages 8 to 15 with the 1st Session in mid-June and 2nd Session in mid-July. We have Fun Fridays during the sessions and a Family Sail day on the final Friday of each session.
Objective of the Program:
At the end of the session your child should be able to sail a boat single-handed. They will also be educated in boat safety and able to kayak independently.
What is Provided:
- Each child is assigned to their own sailboat and kayak.
- Sailboats used are Optimist Pram and Sunfish depending upon age/skill level of the student.
- Everything your child will need for instruction is provided unless otherwise noted.
What each child needs to bring:
- Personal Floatation Device US Coast Guard type III
- Closed toe shoes with laces or velcro straps, NO FLIP FLOPS, SANDLES or CROCS
- Lunches, Snacks, Drinks (except water from water fountain)
- Sunscreen, Towel, Hat
- Sailing gloves are recommended
Each Session will have 1 certified lead instructor and 3 certified assistant instructors. Registration deadline June 1st.
- Swim 50 yards
- Tread water for one minute
- Put on a PFD while in the water
- Swim 50 yards wearing the PFD
Parents & Friends’ Day:
The final Thursday of each session, parents and family members are invited to come and enjoy lunch at the Club and see the students receive there certificates. On the final Friday of the program, family members are welcome to come observe the students’ new sailing and marine skills out on the water and even go out in the boats with them. More details will be provided.
GO TO THE LINK ON THE RIGHT TO DOWNLOAD THE REGISITRATION & WAIVER FORMS.